Amplify Your Charitable Giving
Expert tips on how to enhance your year-end giving reach and goals
Giving is a personal decision—but you don’t have to make that decision alone.
When you work with the Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation, you have the support of experts who understand the community's greatest and most timely needs.
Our Philanthropic Services and Community Impact teams work in partnership to help you make the most of your charitable giving. Our philanthropic advisors work directly with you to put together giving plans and consult with our program officers to garner their nonprofit expertise.
To help you choose a nonprofit that aligns with your values and vision, consider the following questions:
- What change do you want to make in the world?
- Where do you see yourself making the biggest impact?
- How do you want to make that impact?
- Of all the areas, issues and topics you care about, what is your primary focus?
Once you’ve identified an area of impact, turn your focus to specific organizations. Ask yourself some of the following questions:
- What are some organizations you’ve heard of that already address issues you care about?
- What impact do you want your financial contribution to make?
- Do their mission, vision and values align with your own?
- How has this organization benefited the community it serves?
Once you have your values outlined and a list of potential nonprofits, our program officers suggest going a bit deeper with your analysis:
- Consider the gap in funding between organizations led by people of color in comparison to other organizations.
- Look at what funding is needed to grow smaller, lesser-known organizations. What kind of budget do they need to amplify their presence to match the well-established organizations you already know about?
- Volunteer at an organization before making a gift. Witness their work in action, and personally see, touch and feel their impact.
- Poll your social media network. Ask your friends what organizations they support and why they support them.
- Check out the Foundation’s list of nonprofits we have supported. This will show you what areas the Foundation has granted to in the past and could help you find lesser-known organizations that may fit your area of interest.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to giving. That is why it would be our honor to learn about what moves you to give and discuss your options.
We are here to support your vision—contact one of our philanthropic advisors today to talk about your giving.