Five Tips to Prepare Your Clients for End-of-year Giving
We’re here to help you and your client meet their giving goals.
2020 has been hectic, but with support from the Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation, helping your clients with their yearly giving doesn’t have to be.
No other organization helps donors achieve their charitable goals quite like we do. For decades, we have partnered with professional advisors like you to ensure that individuals and families have the best tools to support the issues, organizations and communities they care about.
Below you will find five tips to make year-end giving easier for your clients.
- If your client wants to donate stock or mutual funds to an organization, make sure those stock transfers happen early. As many gifts happen at the end of the year, these types of donations can take some time for firms to transfer. Nonprofits must receive gifts by Dec. 31 in order to issue a tax receipt for that year.
- A donor advised fund is a great tool for donors because it gives them the flexibility to support the causes and organizations they care about during their lifetimes. Our team of experts offers concierge-level service, allowing your client to open up a donor advised fund quickly to expedite the process for their year-end giving.
- The Foundation can help you facilitate the donation of unique gifts, including cryptocurrency, real estate and privately held stock, so your clients can give in new and different ways.
- Many families come together near the year’s end, and often they want to make giving a part of those get-togethers. You can support this by providing ideas to make giving fun and meaningful, like offering family volunteering opportunities or suggesting a local opportunity to “support a family.”
- You don’t have to be a charitable expert for your clients — we are here to be your philanthropic partner. Our program officers and philanthropic advisors work together to ensure our donors know about organizations in the community doing unique and innovative work.
That’s one of the many benefits of working with a community foundation; we will work with you to help your clients achieve their year-end giving goals.
At the Foundation, we treat your clients like our own, which includes a personalized approach to charitable giving. Our team of experts are here to help you. Put our expertise to work for you. Contact one of our gift planners today.
Originally published Oct. 1, 2019. Updated Aug. 28, 2020.
New Charitable Giving Rules to the SECURE and CARES Acts Offer Clients New Tax BreaksLearn More
Check out our staff recommendations for articles and podcasts to stay on top of the CARES Act and financial advising.Learn More
Donor advised funds can enhance your clients’ charitable giving goals, and working with your clients on DAFs can also benefit your business.Learn More