Facing RaceSubmit a nomination
Changing the Narrative
The Saint Paul & Minnesota Community Foundations are currently seeking nominations for our 2018 Facing Race Awards. Two individuals will be selected and recognized at our public award ceremony on October 1. The Awards offer the chance to recognize community members who are courageously transforming our region and state. Each recipient will receive a $15,000 grant to direct to the nonprofit of their choice.
We invite you to submit a nomination in support of an adult or youth helping to promote racial equity. Note that nominations emailed or mailed in will not be accepted. All nominations must be received by 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 3!
The Facing Race Awards were established in 2007 to celebrate and honor individuals working to eliminate racism and its effects throughout Minnesota. The Awards are part of the Foundations’ ongoing commitment to racial equity.
Please save the date for 5-8 p.m. on the evening of Monday, October 1.
For more information or if you have any questions, please email FacingRace@spmcf.org or call 651.325.4214.
Each adult or youth nominee must:
- Actively engage in creating a racially equitable community.
- Demonstrate commitment to directly addressing issues of racism and/or tackling racial inequity in the east metro or across Minnesota. Nominees might be working to reduce racism by changing attitudes, behaviors and practices, or by increasing access to resources at an individual, community, neighborhood, institutional, policy or systemic level.
- Individuals must work with or through an organization(s).
- Give consent to the nominator prior to submitting the nomination form. If your nominee is a youth under the age of 18, you must receive consent from the nominee’s guardian.
- Not be self-nominated.
- Not be a former Facing Race Award recipient.
- Not be staff or board members of The Saint Paul & Minnesota Community Foundations.
Nominees will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- The degree to which the nominee’s work helps to eliminate racism and its effects, and promotes racial equity in Minnesota.
- The nominee’s accomplishments within the past five years, including 2018.
- The degree to which the nominee’s accomplishments benefit the communities in either the East Metro Area (Ramsey, Dakota or Washington counties) or statewide.
Due to the high volume of nominees, only those individuals selected for this year’s Facing Race Award will be notified.
Past Awards Events